Situated on over 21 000 hectares (46 000 acres) of private property and bordering the Namib Naukluft Park, Kulala Desert Lodge lies in the heart of the Namib. Guests can enjoy views of the famous red dunes of Sossusvlei, as well as magnificent mountainous scenery and vast open plains.
The main lodge has a lounge, bar, dining area and small swimming pool, with a view of the dunes. The verandah overlooks a waterhole. Early morning guided game drives to the spectacular dunes are through a private gate on the Tsauchab River.
Rooms at Kulala Desert Lodge
Kulala means ‘to sleep’ in the Oshiwambo language, and each of the 23 rooms is especially adapted to the unique desert conditions, built on a platform to ensure maximum airflow and a thatch roof to provide a cool respite from the sun. Each room has a private verandah with view of the majestic dunes without seeing the neighbours, and a private rooftop area on top of the bathroom gives guests the opportunity of spending a night under the magnificent night sky for which luxury bedrolls are available any time.
Meals are served in the magnificent dining area with views across the desert. In the morning you will have a light snack before your morning activities with a breakfast brunch served out in the dunes. Lunch and dinner are back at the Lodge where house wines are included with your evening meals.
Game Viewing & Activities
A water hole in front of the main building gives the opportunity to see Gemsbok, Springbok, Bat Eared Fox, Aardwolf, Ostrich and Jackals. Some Spotted hyenas can be heard at night. Game drives and walks are also offered on the private reserve. Here, guests can enjoy incredible views, desert game and smaller desert fauna and flora. A new addition are the electric ‘Fat Bikes’ which are a fun way to explore the desert plains.
Another option, at an extra cost, is early morning ballooning, beginning at first light. The 60-minute balloon safari offers a truly unique experience to soar silently above the magnificent sand dunes and desert – with a champagne breakfast served at your landing site.
- Nature drives into the desert in 3 x 10 seater and 1 x 6 seater 4 x 4 vehicles
- Walking Trails
- Electric Fat Bikes
- Visits to Bushman painting sites
- Visit to Sossusvlei and Sesriem
- Balloon safaris (additional cost)
- Horse riding safari (on request and at an additional cost)
- The Scenic sundowner tour is one of the best scenic safaris in the Namib. This exclusive tour is ended with a Champagne sundowner.
All activities are at an additional cost if guests are not booked on the Fully Inclusive rate.
Children of all ages are welcome.
For more information about safari holidays in Namibia, or staying at Kulala Desert Lodge, contact us here or call +44 208 249 5919 to speak to our Africa holidays and honeymoon team.
Facilities at Kulala Desert Lodge
- Ceiling fans ensure a breeze at all times
- En-suite with shower
- Laundry service
- Plunge pool
- Star bed on roof
- Thatch roofed
- Kulala is 350 km south of Windhoek and can easily by reached by sedan car. The entrance is situated 17 km south of Sesriem on the road 826 (follow the signpost with arrows on the C36).
- DRIVING TIMES
- Self drive 5 hours from/to Windhoek (350 Km)
- Self drive 6 hours from/to Swakopmund (380 Km)